Granny flats, also known as secondary dwellings or auxiliary units, are popular in Perth as a way to provide additional living space for family members, and renters, or as a source of income through renting.
They can be a cost-effective option for homeowners looking to add value to their property without undertaking major renovations.
At Superior Choice Granny Flats we specialise in the design and construction of granny flats. As expert granny flat builders feel we have important insights to offer those considering adding a granny flat to their home. So here are some of the advantages you may like to consider:
ADVANTAGES AT A GLANCE
There are several advantages to building a granny flat:
- Extra income: Renting out a granny flat can provide a source of additional income.
- Multigenerational living: A granny flat can provide a convenient and comfortable living arrangement for elderly family members while allowing them to maintain their independence.
- Extra living space: A granny flat can provide extra living space for a growing family or for use as a home office or guest room.
- Property value: A well-designed granny flat can increase the value of a property.
- Energy efficiency: A granny flat can be built to be energy efficient, which can save on energy costs.
- Flexibility: A granny flat can be used for a variety of purposes and can be easily adapted to changing needs. Many people have sought to build and convert their granny flat into office or studio space to work.
PROVIDING ADDITIONAL INCOME
One of the main advantages of building a granny flat is the potential for extra income. Renting out a granny flat can provide a reliable source of additional income, particularly in high-demand rental markets.
In addition to the monetary benefits, granny flats can also provide a sense of community and social interaction for both the homeowner and the tenant.
There are several laws, rules and regulations that you need to consider if you are renting out your granny flat in Perth, Western Australia:
- Permits to build: The Residential Design Codes set out the regulations around granny flat design and builds here in WA. Whilst you can read more about what is permissible here, you needn’t worry too much about the finer details. As an expert granny flat builder, we at Superior Choice Granny Flats will not only be able to guide you through this process, we will do the paperwork for you.
- Rent control laws: Western Australia has rent control laws that regulate the amount of rent that landlords can charge and other aspects of the rental agreement. It is important to understand these laws and ensure that you are complying with them when renting out your granny flat.
- Building codes and regulations: Granny flats in Western Australia must meet certain building codes and regulations to ensure that they are safe and habitable. These codes and regulations cover a variety of issues, including structural integrity, fire safety, and energy efficiency. It is necessary to carry out building inspections. Again, this is something Superior Choice Granny Flats will take care of in the process. For more details on the professional approach we take, please take a look here.
- Landlord-tenant laws: Western Australia has a number of laws that govern the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants. It is important to familiarize yourself with these laws and ensure that you are complying with them when renting out your granny flat.
- Insurance: It is important to ensure that your home and granny flat are properly insured to protect against any liabilities that may arise.
By familiarising yourself with these laws, rules, and regulations, you can ensure that you are complying with all relevant requirements when renting out your granny flat in Perth.
COMFORTABLE LIVING FOR YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS
Granny flats often provide a convenient and comfortable living arrangement for elderly family members, allowing them to maintain their independence while still being close to family. This can be especially beneficial for seniors who may need extra support or assistance but do not require the level of care provided by a nursing home.
In addition to providing a place for elderly family members to live, granny flats can also be used as extra living space for a growing family or as a home office or guest room. These small, self-contained units can provide a sense of privacy and separation from the main house, making them ideal for use as a home office or for hosting out-of-town guests.
INCREASING THE VALUE OF YOUR PROPERTY
Building a granny flat can also increase the value of a property. In addition to providing an additional living space, granny flats can also be designed to blend seamlessly with the main house, enhancing the overall aesthetic of the property.
There are several things to consider when designing a granny flat to optimise value:
- Quality of materials and construction: To ensure that the granny flat adds value to the property, it is important to invest in high-quality materials and construction. This may involve using durable, energy-efficient materials and hiring a reputable contractor.
- Size and layout: The size and layout of the granny flat should be carefully considered to ensure that it is functional and comfortable. A well-designed layout can make the most of the available space and create a sense of flow within the unit. Take a look at some of our designs to get a sense of what you might like to achieve. Please note that these are a guide only and our team at Superior Choice Granny Flats will put forward a custom design to suit your needs. Custom granny flats in Perth is what we do best.
- Level of finishes and amenities: The level of finishes and amenities in the granny flat can also affect its value. Higher-end finishes and amenities, such as granite countertops and stainless-steel appliances, may increase the value of the granny flat, but may also increase the overall cost of the project.
- Energy efficiency: Building an energy-efficient granny flat can save on energy costs and reduce the home’s carbon footprint, which can increase the value of the property.
- Design: The overall design of the granny flat is also important. A well-designed unit that blends seamlessly with the main house is more likely to add value to the property compared to a poorly designed unit.
By considering these factors, you can design a granny flat that is functional, comfortable and adds value to the property.
At Superior Choice Granny Flats we are also familiar with those who wish to use the space as an office or studio. Whether you are a hairdresser or an accountant, the design layout will be different and require different capabilities.
The advantage to seeking our expertise and help is that we know and understand your requirements and will be able to design accordingly.
To use a granny flat as an office space, you will need to ensure that it has the necessary features and amenities to support work. This may include:
- Adequate lighting: Good lighting is essential for any office space, so you will need to ensure that the granny flat has plenty of natural light and artificial lighting sources.
- Comfortable seating: A comfortable chair is important for anyone who will be spending long periods of time sitting at a desk.
- Desk and storage: A desk and storage options, such as shelves or file cabinets, will be necessary to store and organize work materials.
- Internet and phone connections: If you will be using the granny flat as an office, you will need to have a reliable internet connection and a phone line.
- Heating and cooling: A granny flat used as an office will need to be comfortable year-round, so you may need to invest in heating and cooling systems.
- Power points: If you want to use your space as more of a salon you will need more power points.
By ensuring that the granny flat has the necessary features and amenities, you can create a comfortable and functional workspace.
Granny flats can be a convenient and cost-effective option for those who need extra office space or who work from home.
Granny flats can also be built to be energy efficient, which can save on energy costs and reduce the home’s carbon footprint. By using energy-efficient appliances, insulation, and windows, granny flats can be designed to be highly efficient and environmentally friendly.
Granny flats offer a level of flexibility that cannot be found in other types of living arrangements. They can be used for a variety of purposes and can be easily adapted to changing needs. For example, a granny flat that is initially used as a home office or guest room can be easily converted into a rental unit or a place for elderly family members to live if the need arises.
Overall, building a granny flat can be an advantageous decision for homeowners who are looking for extra income, a place for elderly family members to live, extra living space, increased property value, energy efficiency, or flexibility. These small, standalone units offer a wide range of benefits and can be a valuable addition to any home.
For more information or a quote, please get in touch with us at Superior Choice Granny Flats today.